Thing I Like: Rival Lunch Crock

Last year for my birthday, my mom gave me a Rival Lunch Crock. I had never heard of them before, but she'd heard of them through some cooking listserve she's been on for a hundred years.  People raved about them and when she went to order me one, they were even on back order.


image courtesy amazon.com
If you work in an office, I cannot recommend this highly enough. You plug it in at your desk, heat your food without waiting in line to use a grody microwave, and eat straight from it (at least I do - why dirty a second dish?).

It's super-simple.  There's not even an on/off switch. You plug it in to turn it on and unplug it to turn it off.  It's not a full-on crockpot - it warms food but won't cook it  - but it does heat pretty slowly.  I usually plug it in around 90 minutes before I want to eat.  By the time I'm ready for lunch, it's the perfect temperature.

The thing that blows my mind is that while your food is heating, you can't smell it.  I don't know how they do it. I've heated a bunch of different kinds of soup, black beans & rice, and even taco meat.  And I can't smell it.  I use it mostly for soups, but I tried pierogies in it once with decent results.

Cleanup is crazy easy. Nothing sticks to the metal insert, even after cooking in there all morning. There is a flexible lid that fits the insert, underneath the colored plastic one shown in the picture.  The instructions indicate you can carry your food to work in the insert, and leave the outer case at your desk.  I don't trust the insert lid enough to do this.  I need spillproof.

This is not a sponsored post.  I just really like this thing & wanted to share.

3 comments:

Um, that thing looks pretty damn cool. I wonder if I could make my own personal queso?--for in-office snacking.

 

It would be PERFECT for queso. I have thought about it already but haven't actually done it yet.

 

Holy smokin' hot weenies. I've just added this beauty to my wish list. I had no idea this existed. THANKS for sharing!